Joty Sandhu studied Criminology before earning her Juris Doctor at the University of British Columbia in 2015. Since then she has gained vast and varied experience advocating for people within her law practice and in her community.
As a legal advocate for the First United Church Community Ministry Society, Joty assisted marginalized and disadvantaged individuals living in poverty by offering full representation in a variety of areas. She was also employed as a Research Assistant at Peter A. Allard School of Law, through which she had an opportunity to speak amongst leading experts, academics and policy makers at the Three Country CVE Conference hosted by the US Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.
As an articled student, Joty gained experience in both family law and estate litigation, appearing in BC Supreme Court and BC Provincial Court. As a family lawyer, she has dealt with a broad range of complex family matters, including cohabitation and separation agreements, division of assets, parenting time and child support issues, divorce, and spousal maintenance. Her estate litigation files have involved wills variation claims, undue influence, unjust enrichment and resulting trust claims.
Fluent in Punjabi, Joty is a very active participant in her community. As an executive member of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Young Lawyer’s Section, and a member of the Trial Lawyers’ Association (TLABC), South Asian Bar Association (SABABC) and the Vancouver Bar Association (VBA), she works to promote professional development of the South Asian legal community and provide opportunities for young lawyers to network and continue legal education.
When not practicing law, Joty hikes, travels, and enjoys regular exercise at a fitness health club.
- 2015 Juris Doctor, Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia, BC
- 2011 Bachelor of Arts in Criminology, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey, BC
- Member of Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Trial Lawyers’ Association (TLABC)
- South Asian Bar Association (SABABC)
- Vancouver Bar Association (VBA)
- 2016 – 2019 Associate, Onyx Law Group, Vancouver, BC
- 2015 – 2016 Articled Student, Onyx Law Group, Vancouver, BC
- 2015 Research Assistant, Onyx Law Group, Vancouver, BC
- 2015 Research Assistant, Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2014 Legal Advocate, First United Church Community Ministry Society, Vancouver, BC
- 2016 – Present – Member of Executive Committee, Canadian Bar Association (CBABC) Young Lawyer’s Section, Vancouver, BC
- 2014 – 2015 Co-President, South Asian Law Students’ Association (SALSA), Vancouver, BC
- 2012 – 2014 Clinician, Law Students’ Legal Advice Program (LSLAP), Vancouver, BC
- 2012 – 2013 Treasurer, Canadian Lawyers Abroad Program, Vancouver, BC
- 2011 – 2012 KidStart Mentor, PLEA Community Services Society of British Columbia, Surrey, BC
- 2010 – 2011 Volunteer, Elizabeth Fry Society, New Westminster, BC
- Punjabi – Fluent
- Hindi and Urdu – Rudimentary