Kelowna Family Trial Settlement Lawyers senior associate, André Roothman, is ecstatic to be joining the rapidly expanding Kelowna office of MacLean Family Law. He brings over 30 years of sage experience in family law, commercial litigation and criminal law.
André qualified as a lawyer in South Africa in 1987. He graduated from the University of Stellenbosch with a BA with double majors in Political Science and Public Administration and obtained two law degrees from the University of South Africa. He practiced in Cape Town prior to coming to Canada in 2002.
Andre spent two years in Vancouver and was called to the Bars of British Columbia and the Yukon in 2004. That year, he and his family, joined by 2 Alaskan Malamutes and a cat (all from South Africa), decided to seek adventure in the Yukon.
After serving with the Whitehorse office of a national law firm for two years, he started his own practice. His practice in the Yukon focused mainly on family law, criminal defence and commercial litigation. He is an experienced trial lawyer and a skilled negotiator in settlement proceedings.
Andre joins MacLean Family Law to provide robust and compassionate legal services to people in West Kelowna, Kelowna and the rest of the Okanagan.
- 2004 Certificate of Qualification (Equivalent of Canadian LL.B), National Committee on Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies of Canada
- 1997 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) with 2 distinctions, University of South Africa
- 1987 Bachelor in Law (B. Proc), University of South Africa
- 1978 B.A., Double majors in Political Science and Public Administration, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- 2004 British Columbia Bar
- 2004 Yukon Bar
- 1987 Admitted as Attorney of the High Court, South Africa
- 2007 – present – Founding partner of Roothman & Company, Whitehorse, Yukon, BC
- 2004 – 2006 Associate, Miller Thomson, Whitehorse, Yukon
- 2002 – 2004 Legal assistant and Articled student, Josephson Barristers, Vancouver, BC
- 1995 – 2002 Partner in Roothman & Roothman Attorneys, Goodwood, South Africa
- 1988 – 1995 Senior Legal Advisor, Sanlam Life, Bellville, South Africa
- 1987 – 1988 Associate lawyer, Landsberg & Associates, Stellenbosch, South Africa
- 1979 – 1983 Staff Officer, Chief of the South African Navy and Chief of the South African Defence Force
- English (fluent)
- Afrikaans (fluent)
- Dutch (read and understand)