JAMES S.K. CHEN
James brings a wonderful and diverse range of experiences and international understanding to MacLean Law. He was a sole practitioner in Shanghai handling litigation files of multi-jurisdictional nature in family law, property law, estates and contract law. He has coordinated with counsels in BC and Ontario in conducting these files and advised clients on substantive legal issues, overall strategy as well as litigation procedures.
Prior to attending law school James completed a Master’s in Planning at University of British Columbia and wrote his thesis on Chinese urban land reform following fieldwork in China. He then started his J.D. program at UBC while working on finishing his Master’s degree concurrently.
James completed his articling with the Attorney General of British Columbia. He worked on civil litigation involving aboriginal law, constitutional law, administrative law, torts and other claims involving the government of British Columbia, as well as criminal prosecution as Crown Counsel in Victoria.
After getting called to the bar, James co-founded a law firm in Vancouver where he focused on family law, immigration, corporate commercial and general civil litigation.
When working in China, James was actively involved with philanthropic organizations with projects in poverty alleviation, food aid for children and the elderly, and cultural preservation.
- 2001 J.D, University of British Columbia
- 2001 M.A in Planning, University of British Columbia
- 1993 BA. in History (with distinction) University of Victoria
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- 2001 Lidstone, Young and Anderson Award, UBC
- 1997 Canadian International Development Agency, Student Travel Fellowship UBC
- 2002 Practicing Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- 2016 Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2011 – 2016 Sole Practitioner, Vancouver & China
- 2003 – 2010 Lawyer & Co-Founder Praxis Legal Barristers & Solicitors
- 2001 – 2002 Articled Student, Ministry of Attorney General, BC
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- 2016 Legal Clinic Program, Access Pro Bono Vancouver, B.C.
- 2010 – 2013 Volunteer, Heartfire Foundation Shanghai, China
- Mandarin Chinese