Karsten has always been passionate about finding solutions for people, which naturally oriented him towards family law. His ability to solve problems and find creative solutions will be sure to serve his clients well in our MacLean Family Law Kelowna office.
Karsten studied Business Administration and Political Science in Calgary, Alberta, and obtained his Law degree from the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
As a parliamentary assistant, Karsten prepared multiple briefings on a variety of public policy issues and managed communications for Bob Benzen, Member of Parliament. He also researched aspects of Canadian Charter Rights case law and analyzed numerous Supreme Court of Canada decisions for the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.
As an active participant in the community, Karsten has volunteered and worked for various provincial and federal political parties, including election campaigns, and in 2005 he fundraised for and took part in a humanitarian trip to Mexico to build a house for an impoverished family in Vicente Guerrero, Mexico.
In his spare time, Karsten is an avid sports enthusiast. He played hockey for the University of Alberta’s Law Faculty hockey team after playing eleven years of minor hockey while growing up. He’s also a passionate golfer, having competed in many junior golf tournaments and also loves skydiving, climbing, squash, ball hockey and volleyball.
- 2017 Juris Doctor, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- 2014 Bachelor of Business Administration, Mount Royal University, Calgary AB
- 2017 – Present – Lawyer, MacLean Law, Kelowna, BC
- 2017 Parliamentary Assistant, Office of Bob Benzen, Member of Parliament, Ottawa, ON
- 2015 Summer Research Student, Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, Calgary AB
AWARDS & EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITES
- 2017 Competed in the Bowman National Tax Moot, a national moot competition held in Toronto, Ontario
- 2012, 2013 President’s List, Mount Royal University
- 2011, 2012, 2013 Dean’s Honour Role, Mount Royal University
- 2011 Recipient of Staples Academic Scholarship
- 2014 – 2017 Served in numerous roles for the University of Alberta Energy Law Club
- 2015 – 2017 Served as the Editor-in-Chief for Canons of Construction, the University of Alberta’s Law Student newspaper
- 2012 – 2017 Volunteered in various capacities for provincial and federal political parties, including election campaigns
- 2005 Humanitarian trip to Vicente Guerrero, Mexico