Nicholas Davies has an illustrious legal career spanning more than 28 years, including experience in family law, real property transactions and disputes, and corporate / commercial transactions and disputes.
Nick was called to the Bar in the Province of British Columbia in 1985 and began practising law as a solicitor in downtown Vancouver with a focus on litigation. He opened his practice in Whistler in 1991 to indulge his lifelong passion for skiing.
Before his legal career, Nick spent many years working in the offshore oil industry in the Canadian Arctic, and he has also served with the Canadian Armed Forces and the Canadian Coast Guard. Nick spent his undergraduate years at Simon Fraser University studying business and economics before moving to law at The University of Western Ontario.
Nick’s practice currently focuses on family law and corporate/commercial litigation with corporate transactions as a continuing component. He is an experienced family law mediator and is developing an arbitration practice based on the recent changes to the Family Law Act.
- 1984 Bachelor of Law, University of Western Ontario
- 1981 Business Administration & Economics Undergraduate, Simon Fraser University
- Twice voted “Whistler’s Best Lawyer” by the readers of Pique News magazine
- 2015 Yukon Bar
- 1985 British Columbia Bar
- 2013 – Present — Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 1992 – 2013 Whistler Law Offices, Whistler, BC
- 1986 – 1991 Stein & Company, North Vancouver, BC
- 1998 – 2005 Vice President Corporate Affairs, General Counsel Emerald Coast Technologies, Vancouver, BC
- 1984 – 1986 Articled Student & Lawyer, Owen Bird, Vancouver, BC
- 2011 – Present — Newspaper Columnist, Whistler Question, Whistler, BC
- 1995 – 2005 Municipal Councillor, Resort Municipality of Whistler, BC
NEWS & VIEWS
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Accredited Family Law Mediator, Law Society of British Columbia
- Frequent guest instructor and Moot Court judge for Professional Legal Training Course (real estate, civil litigation and family law)
- Volunteer 2010 Winter Olympic Games
- Whistler Mountain Ski Patrol (1992 to 2001)
- Rotary Club of Whistler and Rotary Club of Whistler Millennium (Charter Member, Director, Past President)
- Rotary International (Past President, Rotary Club of Whistler Millennium)
- Capilano College Legal Secretarial Program Advisory Committee
- North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Marine Industries Task Force (Chair)
- Retail and Professional Services Task Force
- Political opinion columnist
- Whistler Chamber of Commerce – Director (1991 to 2004), Olympic Readiness Committee (Founder and Chair)
- Economic Development Committee (Founder and Chair)
- Policy Committee (Chair), Small Seminars Committee (Founder and Chair), Parks and Wilderness Committee (Chair), Amex Employee Recognition Committee, Training Trust Fund (Trustee)