Sophie Bartholomew is a hard working, resourceful thinker, with diverse legal education and experience. She worked as a qualified Family Lawyer in Oxford, England, before moving to Vancouver and joining the MacLean Law team as a Paralegal in July 2017.
Sophie completed the International Baccalaureate in the UK, then attended The University of Manchester for her undergraduate law degree and University College London for her masters degree. This included study in multiple areas of law, including Family Law, Criminal Justice, International Human Rights, and Counter Terrorism.
Sophie’s passion for human rights resulted in an Internship at the Women Human Rights and Gender Section of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland where she engaged in speech writing for the High Commissioner for Human Rights and organizing sessions of the Human Rights Counsel. She was also selected by University College London to compete in the coveted “LawWithoutWalls” program where she worked with students from Harvard and New York Law School to present a business proposal in Miami before venture capitalists.
Sophie has channeled her passion for human rights into focusing on being a strong advocate for clients in Family Law and supporting them through what can often be challenging personal experiences. Sophie intends to build on her experience obtained from working as a lawyer in the England, to hone her specialization in Canadian Family Law with the MacLean Law team. When Sophie is not focusing on the needs of her clients, you can find her keeping up with current affairs, playing sports and performing street dance and drama.
- 2018 Canadian National Committee of Accreditation
- 2016 LPC, University of Law, London, UK
- 2012 Master of Laws (LLM) – International Law Specialism, University College London, UK
- 2011 Law LLB (Honours) – The University of Manchester, UK
- Present – Articled Student, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2016 Hedges Law, Solicitor, Oxford, UK
- 2013 – 2016 The Head Partnership Solicitors LLP, Trainee Solicitor, Reading, UK
- 2014 Peter Grant and Associates, Aboriginal Law Paralegal, Vancouver, BC
- 2012 UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), Intern, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2010 Shearn Delamore & Co, Work Placement, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Conversational French