Tal K. Wolf is a seasoned trial lawyer, with a record of accomplishment in tough cases both inside and outside the courtroom. Tal has handled countless family law matters from initial claim, through complex chambers applications and trial (or collaborative resolution) in Supreme and Provincial Court registries throughout British Columbia, under both the Family Law Act and the Divorce Act. He also practiced law in Los Angeles, California for 15 years before moving to Vancouver and joining the bar of British Columbia.
Tal is a UCLA School of Law / UC Berkeley alumnus with a wide range of litigation experience, including a clerkship with the United States Federal District Court, several years in the franchise litigation group of a major national law corporation in Los Angeles, and the remainder running a boutique trial practice in a variety of labor and employment, consumer protection, personal injury, real estate, entertainment/IP and commercial litigation. He has served as lead counsel in over 40 jury trials to verdict, and in over 80 bench trials and arbitrations.
In 2013, Tal was invited to serve as Judge Pro Tem of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, where he presided over nearly 500 Small Claims, Landlord/Tenant and Civil Harassment trials. He also served as a senior attorney editor on a major online California law treatise published by Thomson Reuters, the largest legal publisher in North America.
Earning his Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada in 2014, and subsequently his membership with the Law Society of British Columbia, Tal currently practices in the Provincial, Supreme and Appellate Courts in Vancouver and beyond.
- 1996 B.A., Jurisprudence, University of California at Berkeley
- 2000 Juris Doctor, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- 2014 Certificate of Qualification, NCA, Federal of Law Societies of Canada
- Cum Laude and Academic Honors, all semesters, UC Berkeley
- Distinguished Advocate Award, UCLA Moot Court Honors Program
- Best Oral Argument Award, UCLA Moot Court Competition
- AVVO™, Client’s Choice Award (back-to-back years)
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Member
- 2015 Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- 2000 State Bar of California, Member
- 2015 Associate Lawyer, MacLean Law, Vancouver, BC
- 2012 – 2014 Judge Pro Tem, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- 2014 Senior (Attorney) Editor, Westlaw Next™ Treatise, Thomson Reuters
- 2002 – 2012 Principal, Trial Lawyer, The Wolf Law Firm, West Los Angeles, CA
- 2006 – 2012 Principal, Criminal Lawyer, Wolf Felony Defense, West Los Angeles, CA
- 2000 – 2002 Associate Attorney, Franchise Litigation Group, Jenkens & Gilchrist LLP, Brentwood, CA
- 1999 – 2000 Judicial Internship, The Honorable Judge Dean D. Pregerson, United States District Court (C.D. California), Los Angeles, CA
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Acted as co-presenter with Lorne MacLean at the 2016 Canadian Bar Association BC Family Law Okanagan and ADR Joint Conference
- Former member and frequent contributor to Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Contributor, volunteer and frequent foster-parent for dozens of needy animals rescued by Best Friends Animal Society, NKLA (No-Kill Los Angeles), and VOKRA (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association)
- 22-year FAA Certified Commercial Pilot and Instrument-Rated Flight Instructor, with thousands of hours logged as pilot-in-command of various piston-powered aircraft
- Frequent speaker and lecturer at Airplane Owner’s and Pilot’s Association (AOPA) safety seminars
- Avid tennis player
- Hebrew (fluent, native)
- French (5 years of education including at University level)